Tankz screenshot 1

Saturday 7 January 2012

I pulled a Homer

To "pull a Homer": To succeed despite idiocy

Today was a bizzare day for coding. I was trying to work on the collision detection (Rectangular, server-side) as it was a bit shifty. The harder i tried, the more the code got screwed up and farther the results were from what I wanted. I got to the point where I was frustrated and I actually lost track of what I was doing and what changes I was making. At this point id given up, thought i'd wrecked my game irreperably when i clicked 'debug' just out of habit.. and it worked. Not only did the collision detection suddenly work perfectly, but a glitch to do with bullet positioning worked itself out at the same time. I have no idea what change I made or how. It was as though the gods of coding decided to give me a break. Very wierd experience.

Anyway - update: collision detection is now more accurate ;) Also, dramatically reduced network packet size which has resulted in a noticable performance boost.

2 comments:

  1. Do I know what you're talking about... This has happened to me several times, and I swear each person's code has a personality.

    By the way, Pickled People Productions got a laugh out of me. (=

    ReplyDelete